Sour Cream Yellow Cake
photo by eabeler
- Ready In:
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° and lightly grease and flour a 13×9 pan.
- Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl and blend on low speed of mixer for 1 minute.
- Scrape down sides with spatula.
- Increase mixer speed to medium and beat an additional 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and tests done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack and frost as desired.
- I stopped making yellow cake mixes because I hated the “process flavor” of it that seemed I (a regular baker) could only detect. I decided to try this one because the reviews said it didn’t have that “taste” and since it seemed easy. Well I was very happy I did! It taste really good! I will be making it again.
- Fantastic, easy, fun to make cake to enjoy; Great for Holi-day time,and stop in visitors..I made mine in a blender ;never had a cake that went together so smoothly, effortless and delicious!<br/>I made it in a Toaster oven at 325 degrees for 30 minutes,and also made a quick lemon glaze to drizzle on top using 1C water, 1 cup of sugar and 2T of lemon juice ..boiled together until a light syrup, about 5 minutes,…While cake was still warm, tuned out onto a platter and slowly drizzle gaze until all absorbed. Rave family reviews! Thanks for this gift of a recipe!
- Great recipe! I hate that we are cheated out of cake mix in the box every year! I buy extra boxes of chocolate and yellow cake mixes when they are on sale. I use 1/2 cup of cake mix to add to the 15 oz cake mix to get about 18 oz. Of course using 3 eggs, 1/3 cup oil for 15 0z cake mix instead of the usual 18oz cake mix makes a difference!! Sorry Betty & Duncan, you all can’t fool us!
- What a nice recipe Marie. We really enjoyed this lovely cake made with a mix. I didn’t have enough sour cream so I added some cream cheese to the mix. Wow, was this cake good, quick and easy to make with great results. excellent flavor and texture. The cake was moist, tender and light, frosted with a simple butter cream frosting. Made for Whats on the Menu Tag Game. 2014
see 31 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in upstate New York. I am retired and now have time to enjoy my children, my grandchildren and great grandchildren.